As early as the 13th century, the parish church for Borgo di Suvignano was known as the “Ecclesia de S.Stephani de Suvignano”. It remained a place of worship for the residents of the area throughout the centuries, although it was abandoned and rebuilt on multiple occasions.
It was first refurbished in the 18th century on behalf of the Piccolomini family. Then in 1871, it was the nobleman Bartolomeo Mignanelli who would incur the cost of needed restoration works.
Although not currently consecrated, the Church of Santo Stefano is still an ideal venue for uniquely elegant ceremonies.